Ted Hagert announces that John and Nancy Samuelson are the 2021 Heritage Days Grand Marshals.
This year’s grand marshal was born & raised in Starbuck, graduating from Starbuck
High School in 1964. He went on to attend North Dakota State University, graduating in 1968. After graduating from college he served in the United States Army. Once discharged, he got married and worked in other areas of Minnesota until 1978 before moving his wife and two young daughters back to Starbuck to take over his dad’s business.
Besides being a Starbuck businessman for 30 years he has been involved in many community organizations including:
● Serving the Starbuck Chamber of Commerce in several roles, including president.
● Volunteered 15 years with the Starbuck Fire Department
● Was instrumental in reviving the Starbuck Boy Scouts, troop 491, when he moved back in 1978 and served as Scoutmaster for several years
● He has been a long time member of Fron Lutheran Church serving on church council several times
● Current member of the Minnewaska Lutheran Home Board of Directors
● Currently serving on the Gladys Ness Brang Foundation Board of Trustees
● Probably the only HAM Radio Operator in Starbuck
His wife is also involved in several community organizations including
● Member of the Starbuck Study Club
● Longtime member of Fron Lutheran Church, serving as Sunday school teacher for many years and also as a member of the church council.
● Helping with the Fron Church Easter garden, fall super, and work units.
Now retired, they keep busy traveling and keeping up with their grandchildren.
Photo by Celeste Rapp