Starbuck Lions Club has a long history in Starbuck, of raising money for the blind, purchasing eye glasses for needy families or helping in other ways.
The club was chartered on October 1, 1956, at a special banquet held in the old gym at the Starbuck School. Dr. F.D. Bucher was the first president and is still a member. Recently, the 58 year-old club has contributed to helping students go on educational trips in the states or to other countries through donations. They have also sold raffle tickets for Heritage Days with a big screen television prize. Last summer you may have seen the Lions serving one of the meals at Thursday Night on the Town at the Starbuck Depot.
History from Starbuck Centennial Book:
Locally, the Lions had contributed funds to the Starbuck Hospital on several occasions, the Minnewaska Lutheran Home, Lakeshore Park and Starbuck Marina. The Lions have purchased eye glasses for needy families, Braille equipment for a local child, a hearing device for closed caption television for a local child, scoreboard at the school and to the local “Dollars for Scholars” program.
Being a service organization, the purpose of the club is to help others through a united effort, which can not be accomplished by individuals. Their motto is “We Serve.”
To raise funds for various causes, the Lions have put on variety shows, three-act plays, sold light bulbs, sold brooms made by the blind, dunk the clunk contests, raffled off items, sold tickets for car and cash parties. They have raised thousands of dollars, which were distributed in various ways.
One of the concerns of Lions has been for the blind. They have supported on a national basis, a Seeing Eye Dog training center in Michigan and an Eye Bank on the state level. The Eye Bank has supplied cornea transplants for many, enabling them to regain lost sight.
Another project the club supports on a state level has been a Hearing Center at the University of Minnesota.