HISTORY OF STARBUCK, MINNESOTA
Starbuck, Minnesota, home of the world’s largest Lefse, was borne out of the Northern Pacific Railroad platted in the spring of 1882, was incorporated as a village on June 6th 1883 along the western end of Lake Minnewaska.
There are differing stories laying claim to how this village steeped in Norwegian heritage was named and became known as Starbuck.
One such story claims Starbuck was named after a pair of oxen, Star and Buck, owned by a settler named Andrew Hagenson. The oxen were used to haul materials for an early bridge when the railroad came through the area.
Another story is that Starbuck’s naming rights belong to Sidney Starbuck, a director of the Little Falls and Dakota Railroad.
A third account is that Starbuck was for an early settler of Norwegian descent whose last name Sagbaken.
However, most Starbuck Historical Buffs say Starbuck was named after William H. Starbuck, a 19th century railroad financier from New York who financed the Little falls and Dakota Railroads. It would appear that he not only gave his name to Starbuck, Minnesota but to Starbuck, Washington and Starbuck, Manitoba as well.