Pope County Historical Society
Business Genre
Business Description

Visitor & Contact information

The Pope County Museum is located in Glenwood, Minnesota on the shores of Lake Minnewaska. Operated by the Pope County Historical Society, it is open year round.

Tuesday – Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.


Prices September-May:
Adult – $3
Student $1.50
Child (age 6-12) – $.50
5 and under – free

Annual – individual – $15.00
Annual  – family (Parents & children 18 & under) – $30.00
Lifetime – individual – $100.00
Membership entitles you to free research assistance, admission to the museum, events. You’ll also receive our newsletter and good karma for supporting our mission.

Business Supporting Membership – $30.00

The mission of the Pope County Historical Society is to foster among people an awareness of Pope County History so that they may draw strength and perspective from the past and find purpose for the future.

809 South Lakeshore Drive
Glenwood, MN 56334

Business Phone Number
Business Address
809 South Lakeshore Drive
Glenwood MN
Starbuck Depot/Museum
Business Name
Business Genre
Business Description

The Starbuck Depot Museum serves a center for the community of Starbuck to gather and reminisce. It is a place that celebrates the rich Norwegian heritage of Starbuck and the railway that ran through it. Memories of old school days and a younger Starbuck live here.

The beginning of train service in Starbuck was heralded by a shrill steam whistle on Nov. 10, 1882. The last train left without fanfare on July 15, 1983.

This 90 mile line from Morris to Little Falls was built using horses and dirt scrapers. It provided passenger and mail service as well as freight hauling of building materials, machinery, fuel, fertilizer, livestock, grain, cream and eggs.
The local dray line picked up merchandise at the depot and delivered it to the merchants.

The depot building was closed after the passenger service was discontinued in 1954. After a merger in 1960, the railway became known as the Burlington Northern. In June, 1986, the Starbuck Depot Society was organized to restore and maintain the depot building and grounds and a grand opening was held on May 16, 1992.

The Depot Society was responsible for four major annual events held at the depot: Lefse Dagen, Heritage Days, Eple Tiden, and Juletre Lysning.

It is believed that the City of Starbuck was named after Mr. William H. Starbuck of New York, who financed the construction of this railway. He was a friend of Henry Villard who was the president of the N.P.R.R. 1881-1884.

Business Website Address
Business Phone Number
(320) 239-4868
Business Address
PO Box 512
Starbuck , MN 56381